Certain dog breeds have thick layers of hair that is very effective in protecting them from the elements when cold weather strikes, but other dogs simply are not equipped to weather the cold weather. If your dog has a short coat or a thin/sparse coat, you may need to evaluate how well they are able to maintain a safe and comfortable level of warmth before sending them out in the cold without dog jackets!
Do you live where there is a particularly cold winter? Or maybe your dog is a bit of a wimp. Whatever the reason, it doesn't matter. What matters is this is the coat for staying warm, no matter what the weather! Longer then most dog jackets, this coat covers right to the base of the tail and half way down the hind legs - perfect for dogs suffering from hip dysplasia or arthritis. The adjustable waist adjusts to fit all body types and the removable hood helps keep head and ears toasty warm.
- Parka comes in hunter green and orange
- Available in six sizes, even XXL for the extra big pooch in your life!
- Removable, snap on hood has drawstrings to help keep it where its needed!
- Easy on, easy off with Velcro closures
- 100% polyester; machine wash in cold gentle cycle and hang to dry
Our Price: $19.75
Versatile and practical, the Camo Jacket keeps dogs warm and dry in wet weather while being reversible to give two looks in one! Removable hood keeps the rain out of their eyes and the chest and neck have Velcro closures for an adjustable fit. Make post-walk clean up easier in the rainy season with the waterproof Camo Jacket - you'll both be happier with less work!
- Choose from olive green, pink and multi-colored
- Reverible coats are camo on one side and plain on the other
- Available in seven different sizes - from XXS to XXL!
- Snap on hood can be removed to reveal a stand up collar
Our Price: $16.45
- Easy care nylon; machine wash in cold on the gentle cycle and hang to dry
With names like Watermelon and Almond, who could resist these fabulous reversible vests? Just like they sound, Watermelon is pink on one side and green on the other while almond is creamy one way and warm brown on the other. Puffy vests are great for all types of weather and the detachable hood with its faux fur trim guarantees extra warmth when your pooch needs it!
- Is your dog a Watermelon or an Almond?
- Reversible nylon shell vest is stuffed with polyfill for added warmth
- 100% polyester; machine wash in a cold water, gentle cycle and hang to dry
- Remove hood before washing!
Our Price: $16.45
Two coats in one! Our Sophisticated Safari Reversible Jacket has one ultra sexy, ultrasuede leopard print side accented with a red patent leather collar and belt. Or, flip it around and you have a red patent rain jacket with a leopard print ultrasuede collar and belt! Two jackets in one but all for one amazing price! Spoil your pup today with this wonderful, waterproof rain jacket!
- Available in XX Small to X Large sizes!
- Made from red patent leather and printed ultrasuede
Our Price: $18.95
- Hand wash in cold water and hang to dry
Upscale coat for the Uptown Dog! Warm plaid with Sherpa lining and accents around the collar, cuffs and hem. Back buckle adds sophistication while red stitching accents and silver buttons are decidedly uptown!
- Extra warm coat for extra cold winters!
- Available in sizing from Teacup to X Large
Our Price: $19.95
- Machine wash in cold water on a gentle cycle and hang to dry
Definitely an uptown look, the Faux Fur Pink Leopard Coat is not only as sexy as a dog jacket can get, but also widely warm and practical! The luxurious clipped faux fur gives the coat added appeal while the Velcro fasteners make it easy to get on and off. Spoil your girl today and buy her the coat she has always dreamed of owning!
- Available in adorable XXS to elegant XL!
- The high-cut underbelly stays dry!
Our Price: $36.25
- 100% polyester; Machine was on gentle cycle in cold water and hang to dry
Your Pooch meets the 'French Connection'! Classic style with updated colors, our Trench Coats keep rain off your pooch, protect them from wind as well as UV rays! The turndown collar, belted waist and shoulder buttons are all pure Euro style while the Velcro closures at the neck and waist are pure OMDS practicality!
- Choose from deep Green or bright Pink!
- Available in sizing from XX Small to Medium
- Cotton and Spandex combo; machine wash in cold water on a gentle cycle and hang to dry
Our Price: $24.95
Warm and comfortable, our Cable KNit Cape is ideal for cold winter walks! Many dogs prefer the free movement of a cape - no belly bands to restrict their gait. These wonderful capes have dyed to match faux fur trim around the hood and hem while the elastic fastners at the neck make it an easy on, easy off cozy winter item!
- Choose from Burgundy or Brown!
- Available in Teacup to Medium sizes!
Our Price: $21.95
- Machine wash in cold water and hang to dry
A Dog’s Fur May Not Be Enough To Stay Warm
Depending on the size of your dog and the levels of extreme weather conditions, there are many options for your dog.
Dogs with thick coats are not as affected by the rain because, while they do get wet, most of the water stays on the surface of their coats, so they do not experience that soaked to the skin feeling. If your dog has a thin, short, or sparse coat, the simple addition of a raincoat while the dog is our taking a walk or going out to eliminate will keep the wetness off the skin and protect him from getting too cold. Some dogs simply are so uncomfortable being out in the rain that they are hesitant to eliminate in rain storms. If this is a problem with your dog, then regardless of the thickness of his hair, you might definitely benefit from a canine rain slicker.
For shorter dogs, regardless of how thick their coat is, snow is always a problem. As they go out to take a walk, snow can easily gather on their bellies. Even if the outside temperature is relatively mild, the dog's body temperature can drop to dangerous levels if you are not careful to protect them from gathering ice. Snow boots are something you might want to consider for all dogs that frequently have to walk in snowy conditions.
Do not forget about the wind chill factor. If your dog shivers in windy conditions, look into getting a dog coat
or even a sweater that can act as a wind breaker. Wind breakers for dogs come anywhere from a thin nylon jacket to something slightly heavier and fleece-lined. Just look around until you find one that is right for your pup.
Even if you feel like the weather is fine, look for signs in your dog that she might be uncomfortable. Is she shivering? Is her tail tucked? Is she reluctant to stay outside? If so, make sure that you give her some help by providing her some appropriate dog apparel. Dog shirts, sweaters, jackets, coats, and parkas are NOT just cute. They are made because there is a strong need. You love your dog, so make sure all of her needs are met!